From Lichess.org:

Importance of statements Part 3: Who found Whom

 So...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, I'm going to do this in every post.

Alright so here's Walter Sir's solution to the previous problem:


And... I mean I respect Walter Sir butttt I was not appealed with the solution. Solution was correct, and the explanation was good too; but here's a thing, and this is my own opinion, when we teach science to students, the biggest mistake that we make and have been making for years is that we don't teach it. Yeah, I know what you are thinking, "This guys has gone crazy.". Well, let me tell you that you are right.

So there was an impressive study done by Veritasium:


And by the way, if you didn't guess it already, this blog will be a long one so read with breaks if you want.

Problem:

Science is different from other subjects and the challenge that it provides is that students already have some scientifically wrong ideas established in their brains and so they get it wrong.
 

Why this?

But this blog post or this series isn't supposed to change it. It'll change on it's own, and I am confident about that. What I will provide you in these couple of posts is the realization of what STEM is in fact. Trying to address some core skills that are not taught in schools.
 

Discussion:

One example I have of the problem addressed above is from Einstein's famous 'Theory of Special Relativity'. Now, I don't expect you to know the derivation and the math of it. I want you to know the key idea of it; in case you need help, this teen has given a profound explanation.
 
Read the paragraph below after a break. I want you to do this, so that you forget about the video, and experience something I want you to realize.
Okay, so you didn't wait!

Answer this easy question:
Let's say hypothetically I am on earth and am racing against light and fun fact I won the race! I receive every prize that can be awarded; I become world famous! But a physicist came and argued that I won by cheating and says that nothing can travel faster than light; doing so will break the laws of physics! Did I win by cheating?
 

Answer:

No, I was not cheating. I did actually travel faster than light.
The thing is it is very much possible to travel faster than light, without breaking what Einstein had said.
The title of this post is 'Importance of statements'; and that is what I am willing to tell. Albert didn't state that light is the fastest traveling thing. He stated that 'Nothing can travel faster that light in vacuum.
And I was traveling on Earth, in the atmosphere; I don't know how I was able to do it but sometimes my students misinterpreting statements sparks such a fire withing me that make me faster than Flash!

And this is the point of this post and the theme of today's problem:

Today's Problem:

You have a circle, and there's a chord measuring 2 units anywhere inside that circle. You have another circle whose area is smaller, and it's diameter is parallel to that chord. What is the area of the blue region? which is basically the area of the larger circle minus the area of the smaller circle.
A weird drawing of the question

By the way, this question was given to me by Mahdi who is an exceptional teacher and peer at schoolhouse.world, a free peer to peer tutoring platform from the founders of Khan Academy.
 
Yes, there is absolutely no more info given. and this is what makes it so beautiful!
(I am planning to shift to medium)


Comments

Popular Posts