From Lichess.org:

Who found Whom

Respectable Late Sir Vashishtha Narayan Singh(2 April 1942 - 14 November 2019)
The man who challenged Einstein's theory of Relativity

Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?

I met science back when I was a pre-teen. And this blog has some of those traits. But in my memory, I have never told what made me a STEM enthusiast and this weirdo whose weird writings you keep reading till end.
This is a story of well a sleep. Sounds surprising? I know, right.


You: "Hey Suryaansh, why do you have to mention the context in this detail in the start of every post that you put. Just start the thing naa, and stop teaching, entertain us!"
Me: "You know, it's just filler words to make the post more longer and seem like it has more content than it actually has. And also make this post rank higher in google search results."
You: "Wait...wait...wait. Domics copy!"

 Do you like sleeping in the afternoon? I don't too, and so I'm writing this in the Indian afternoon, yes, it is 4:14pm right now. Wait, what? that's not afternoon. See in Indian, any time between, 12pm and 5pm is afternoon.

GET TO THE STORY OR I WON'T READ!

Okay, let me narrate my the first lecture of science, basically topology that I attended.

"Topology is the mathematical study of the properties that are preserved through deformations, twistings, and stretchings of objects. Topology began with the study of curves, surfaces, and other objects in the plane and three-space. Today, we shall talk about dimensions. So this simple idea that we live in 3 dimensions is a statement you all must have read when you used to study for the exam of this program. The interesting this 'bout math is that we not only focus on what is around us but we also tend to wander as the mind wanders. See for example the analogy that most students in the world get about division is that we have say 10 apples, and we give them to say 5 people. But this analogy is good for understanding the division that we may use in this materialistic world, but math has more to it. It's about going beyond the materialistic world. So, for example, this analogy fails when negative integers are introduced. We cannot have people in negative but we can divide by negative numbers and why n/-s where n and s are 2 integers is equal to -n/s in value was discussed thoroughly in our book...."

 I do not remember the whole lecture and neither is this the exact words that the lecturer said. But it had a line which got stuck with me for a few more days.

 So this simple idea that we live in 3 dimensions...

Again, this lecture was not the reason why I felt in love with science, but this statement was.
For some reason, this line got stuck with me, I was thinking about this, how do we know that this world is 3 dimensional when in math we could easily define spaces and derive rules that could help us move values and operations in and out from that mathematical space that we are in. So the next day, I rushed up in the classroom and was willing to ask my teacher any euclidean mathematical proof of the existence of n dimensions without empirical reasoning. But I couldn't as she did not come to class that day. And now, I feel so much gratitude that she did not.

This gave us a lot of free time throughout the day in which I began thinking about it. My thought were: "Okay, let's take the ampersand curve( 4(x2 + y2 − 2x)2 ), and try to see it's jaggedness and then maybe we could find a way using combinatorics identities to find the count of the dimensions.". It was h-a-r-d and I mean really hard. Mainly 'cause I was solving a problem which is very difficult to explain to a layman which I was back then. But I found a quick explanation when I was in home, juggling with theorems on my bed. I slept, 'cause I was tired. I had a huge workload of homework to be finished in the evening. But soon when I woke up, thoughtless, I had an idea. I was observing how each of my eyes saw an object differently and I noticed one this, "Each of my eyes saw the object in 2 dimensions, and this was our brain which made the look 3 dimensional to us." This was groundbreaking at least for me at that time, discovering a theory which comprised of 3/4th of my course on my own gave me an amazing feeling of fulfillment and happiness.

At the end, even though I know my brain worked in diffused mode to find it, I would still say quote;

I don't find theorems. Theorems come to me. Hardy, you ask me how did I know this theorem, I ask you, how does breath come to you? A theorem makes no sense to me until it says a statement of Ishwar( meaning God, but not the Christian definition of god, instead the Hindu definition of God)
~Srinivasa Ramanujan

 


Comments

Popular Posts